Search this blog and The Mike's favorite blogs!

March 25, 2012

The Mike's Top 50 Horror Movies Countdown: #45 - The Fog

Previously on the Countdown: Number 50 - Happy Birthday to Me  Number 49 - Prince of Darkness Number 48 - House on Haunted Hill  Number 47 - The Monster Squad  Number 46 - Hellraiser
The Fog
(1980, Dir. by John Carpenter.)
Why It's Here:
John Carpenter's follow-up to Halloween - a movie you just might see later on this list - is one of those horror films that is truly one-of-a-kind.  Aside from a haphazard remake, there are very few supernatural tales out there that capitalize on the same supernatural feeling that exists in most of the film's scenes.  The movie plays like a mixed bowl of horror standards with a few slasher movie tricks thrown in, and a cast of wonderful actors keeps the film afloat while Carpenter shows off his mastery of the genre.

The Moment That Changes Everything:
I think the opening moments - from the Edgar Allan Poe quote to a campfire story by John Houseman to opening credits full of paranormal hijinx - do as much for setting the tone for this film than any opening sequence ever has.  It's immediately established that anything can happen in the world of The Fog, and we're already uneasy before the characters and setting are set up during the following daylight hours.

It Makes a Great Double Feature With:
Dan O'Bannon and John Carpenter had one heckuva falling out around the end of the '70s, but that doesn't mean their styles stopped working together.  The O'Bannon scripted Dead & Buried - directed by the severely underrated Gary Sherman - shares the same ominous mood and sets its story in a similar seaside town.  The stories differ greatly, but the combo seems like a fun dose of supernatural fun to me.

What It Means To Me:
The Fog has never been my favorite Carpenter film - it probably would struggle to make my top five, even - but that doesn't mean I don't dig it greatly.  It's a prototype for what I want from a "midnight movie", and it seems like it's gotten better with each viewing.  I still have some issues with the story to work out, but I can take in the cast and the style of The Fog any day.

4 comments:

Ashley Shannon said...

I love The Fog, only saw it a couple of years ago but thought it was such an original premise. It could so easily have come off as silly but Carpenter's ability to create atmosphere (usually through his amazing scores) elevate way above that. Great film, props for putting it on your list :D

They Made Me Do It

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Is this the one in which a DJ begs listeners of her radio programme to go to her home and save her son? If so, then I saw it as a child and never forgot it!

But I've not watched it again since, for the silliest reason . . . I saw The Mist a few years ago, thought these two were the same movie, and kept turning down invitations to catch this with friends, saying "I've already seen it."

*facepalm*

Marvin the Macabre said...

Dead & Buried, huh? I'll have to check it out.

I agree that The Fog gets better every time I watch it. Last summer, we hung up a sheet on our deck and watched this one under the stars. Pure magic.

I remember seeing the original TV promos for The Fog when I was 5. scared the doo-doo brown outta me, and made me freak out at every foggy day. And back then I didn't even know about the ghost lepers.

joe hughes said...

I LOVE THIS SITE, I LOOK FORWARD TO READING YOUR COUNTDOWN AND JUST THE SITE IN GENERAL.

I HAVE BEEN A BIG FAN OF IT FOR A WHILE NOW

GREAT WORK