Search this blog and The Mike's favorite blogs!

February 5, 2010

Midnight Top Five - Werewolf Movies (To See Before Next Week's Wolfman Remake!)

With the release of the long delayed and longer anticipated remake The Wolfman due next week, it's only fair of me to use my first Midnight Top 5 as a chance to pimp my favorite monster's biggest successes. Plus, I think there's a gigantic gap in quality between these five flicks and any other werewolf movie ever released...can our new Wolfman make it a Top 6?
Ginger Snaps (John Fawcett, 2000) - Two sisters who are obsessed with death are forced to deal with their changing bodies in different ways, as menstruation and lycanthropy take control. It's the Mean Girls of the werewolf subgenre.
The Howling (Joe Dante, 1981) - Playing off the classic mythology of the werewolf as an homage to the original Wolfman, Dante puts together an interesting story about a reporter (Dee Wallace of E.T.) spending the weekend at a secluded colony who's residents change with the moon. The awesome Patrick Macnee also stars.
Dog Soldiers (Neil Marshall, 2002) - Marshall's directorial debut is a an action-packed siege picture, focusing on a team of British soldiers trying to survive being trapped in the farmhouse of a pack of werewolves. Like Aliens or Predator, this is all about bad-asses versus monsters, and it succeeds near as much as those classics do.
An American Werewolf in London (John Landis, 1981) - Perhaps the most complete horror comedy ever made. Pays tribute to the original Universal monster while carving its own place in horror history. Plus, it's got Van Morrison's Moondance and Jenny Agutter, making it one of the most likeable horror flicks of the gory '80s.
The Wolf Man (George Waggner, 1941) - The leader of the pack, and rightfully so. Lon Chaney, Jr. and Claude Rains give fantastic performances as the mythology is laid down for others to follow. The ending is one of the great tragedies on film.

7 comments:

Andre Dumas said...

Drats I still need to see Dog Soldiers! An American Werewolf in London will always always be my favorite though : )

The Mike said...

Dog Soldiers is one of the few movies that never gets old for me. But, so are AAWIL and Wolf Man.

Bloofer Lady said...

I've seen all of them but you have forgotten Hammer's The Curse Of The Werewolf. For shame!:-P

The Mike said...

It's not forgotten, just probably my sixth choice. (Or maybe seventh, I also have a very soft spot for Wolf.) Either way, Terence Fisher is always an excellent choice.

R.D. Penning said...

And you know how I love honorable mentions. My vote goes to Silver Bullet, but you know how I feel about Stephen King, haha.

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Oh, I love werewolves! I'm so glad you did a Top 5.

I did a "Top 5 Female Werewolves" post myself for "Women in Horror" Month, but the paucity of female werewolves coupled with the requirement that they be "hot" meant that the list wasn't very good. =P

(I mean, it had the three Charmed Ones in it because of one random episode late in the show's run! LOL That's not very dignified, is it?)